49th and Pennsylvania streets
Why Critical: The intersection of 49th and Pennsylvania streets is a small, but locally significant retail node. Its popularity has brought about an intensification of the uses. Striking a balance between the needs of the businesses and the needs of the surrounding residences is critical.
- Prohibit the expansion of commercial uses beyond their current extent.
- Discourage auto-intensive uses. Exception: redevelopment of the existing gas station on the southeast corner of the intersection as a gas station.
- Encourage small, neighborhood-serving businesses rather than businesses that would draw from a wide area.
- Discourage high-traffic businesses such as convenience stores.
- Discourage medium or large-scale businesses such as chain drugstores.
- Discourage 24-hour businesses.
- Limit the height of any new construction to one story.
- Maintain a variety of architectural styles.
- Prohibit banners, billboards or other visual clutter.
- Provide landscaping between the sidewalk off-street vehicular zones.
- Provide a common entrance for multi-tenant buldings.
- Install a bike lane on Pennsylvania Street.
- Install new sidewalks where they are absent on the west side of Pennsylvania Street and the south side of 49th
- Remove obstructions on the sidewalks that interfere with pedestrian passage such as utility poles.
- Provide bike parking.