College Avenue at 54th Street
Why Critical: This intersection is a neighborhood commercial node with a grocery store, bars, night club, cafes, coffee shop, hair salon, and offices. It is surrounded by single-family and multi-family residential structures.
- See Land Use and Design Recommendations for College Avenue above.
- Do not permit commercial uses to intrude further into the neighborhood.
- Discourage billboards.
- As redevelopment occurs, encourage underground utilities in an effort to eliminate utility poles and overhead lines, thereby increasing pedestrian space.
- Install traffic calming measures that would provide a more pedestrian-friendly environment.
- Improve pedestrian safety on the southwest corner of the intersection by identifying pedestrian walkways and separating pedestrians from vehicular traffic.
- Clearly identify the crosswalks at this intersection to improve safety and accommodate pedestrians and connectivity to the Monon Trail.
- Install and/or repair sidewalks along 54th Street to facilitate connection with the Monon Trail.