38th Street between Carrollton Avenue and the Monon Rail-Trail
Why Critical: Large single-family residences dominate the land use mix. Many of these houses have been converted to multi-family or office uses. Retail structures can be found on northwest and northeast corner of 38th Street and Winthrop Avenue.
- See Land Use and Design Recommendations for 38th Street corridor above.
- Mixed use (office/retail use on the first floor, with residential on the upper floors) is appropriate along this corridor.
- Existing residential stock should be rehabilitated or reused, particularly those structures that have historic value.
- Existing setbacks along 38th Street are appropriate; the rhythm of existing building setbacks should be maintained when redevelopment activities and infill projects are undertaken.
- The public realm between the building setback and the street should be enhanced with lighting, landscaping, wide sidewalks, and tree lawns.
- A bicycle facility (rental, repair, etc.) would be an appropriate use in the old Monon Train Station that lies adjacent to the Monon Trail.
- Improve relationship with the State Fairgrounds by integrating pedestrian/bicycle connections between the neighborhood and the State Fairgrounds.