Intersection of 38th Street and College Avenue
Why Critical: The commercial area at College Avenue is the most notable retail node along the 38th Street within Meridian Kessler. There is a mix of historic two-story structures and newer one-story structures.
- See Land Use and Design Recommendations for 38th Street corridor above.
- Mixed use (office/retail use on the first floor, with residential on the upper floors) is appropriate at this node.
- Land uses that serve neighborhood needs (i.e. grocery store) would be preferred over uses that would be regional draws.
- A boutique restaurant would be a welcome addition to the corridor.
- The height of the buildings should be limited to four to five stories.
- Existing setbacks are appropriate, but the public realm between the building setback and the street should be enhanced with lighting, landscaping, wide sidewalks, and tree lawns.
- Maintain rhythm of existing building setbacks when redevelopment activities and infill projects are undertaken.